Thursday, July 8, 2010

Buffalo with Snare in Chobe Farms

Buffalo with Snare in Chobe Farms

On this day I was called by private citizen of buffalo with snare near Chobe Farms. I went and located the Buff and then went to parks for assistance. Mr. Khan and Slash immediately responded to my call along with 3 other wardens. I had pre prepared a dart with 12 mg Etorphine and all equipment required.On arrival we darted him and he went 40 meters before going down. There was a vet thick wire snare on its right hind leg. With much difficulty wire was cut and wound disinfected.
Antibiotics and painkillers were administered and animal reversed.

I believe his prognosis is quite good and he should survive as plenty of blood supply to leg still present. He was so close to human habitation than in a few days he would have become very ill and aggressive and probably would have injured a innocent passerby.

I was very happy with assistance and response from parks we worked efficiently and without fault. Entire procedure took less than 40 minutes to complete.