Sunday, July 11, 2010

Another elephant poached

Another elephant poached




I was called by private citizen as she heard gunshots and elephants and people shouting. I immediately responded to call that was on farm near Chobe Chicken in Kazangula.I saw people at gate and asked if they had shot and they responded they had killed an elephant that was eating their crops. He said he had called parks 2 days previously and that they said he should take care of the problem himself.

We went to area were elephant was shot and it was in his field and I followed blood spoor to were elephant had died. I called Mr. Khan just to confirm this had happened and that man was within his legal right to do so. I suggested to him to please call me in future before he shoots elephants to see what we could do without having to injure innocents.This is the second episode at this farm.

I suggested that he should request assistance to put up a electrical fence so this does not happen again. I believe there should be a law that if you are farming in a wildlife area that you are required to have a elephant proof fence.

I dread the day that they wound an animal and it then kills some innocent bystander. I was very diplomatic and there were no bad feelings I suggested that the village butchers the carcass and that he was to retain the tusks for me to collect the next day.

The next day I arrived to collect the tusks. The owner of the farm recognized me from an episode I had with him 6 months previously were I had caught him after he shot another elephant and in fact he was not on his property when I arrested him. He decided to become belligerent with me calling me racial slurs and saying that we do not want white people in his country and refused to acknowledged I was a game warden.

I returned with 2 uniformed officers and they would not speak in English until I requested so. The farmer then accused me of pulling a gun on him and threatening him. I told him he was talking rubbish and all hell broke loose. Apparently that is a very severe insult. He was trying to frame me and get me in the court system. Coward.

We retrieved the tusks....

2 weeks later he shot another elephant. This time tusks were neatly staked in the department office . He knows the laws. I have suggested we put Chili plants around his farm as these are reported to deter elephants. Now he is in the spotlight. I hope the plants work but I am skeptical. This not to smart farmer is going to go down. I like an elephant have a very good memory...



NO REMORSE AT ALL


OPEN FIELD USED AS BAIT REST OF FARM FENCED IN

ELEPHANT TRACK IN FIELD

THIS BUTCHERING PROCESS TAKES LESS THAN 2 HOURS, VERY PROFESSIONAL