Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Unbelievable twist of events, Buffalo with snare

Unbelievable twist of events, Buffalo with snare

I was awakened yesterday morning to sound of gunshots near my house. I went to investigate and to my astonishment discovered that the buffalo I had treated for a snare a few weeks ago was lying there dead. I did notice some fresh blood on the wound but was so distressed I did not examine it properly and went off in a heap of depression. What am I doing here?? What is the use of fighting this battle? Laura being diligent took pictures but I could not face it. In disgust I ran to the parks department and complained to the head warden. It apparently had been shot by the Problem Animal Control as they said it had been aggressive and was dragging behind a wire snare. The head warden had agreed with me that it was an untimely and harsh response from the department. He knows how much I care about the animals and had a meeting to order his staff that no animal is to be shot without consulting me first unless human life is being threatened. I thanked him for his prompt and effective handling of the situation and went off on a wildlife call, feeling that something good had come out of the episode.

That evening I was sent on a wild goose chase to take blood from a dead elephant 200 km way. I will post that story later. On examination of Photos laura took of this buffalo one can see how good of condition he was compared to when I first treated him. Unbelievably on closer examination there is second snare that had caught him over the original wound that was healing. This is incredible and to think that this is in my backyard and not in the deep bush it boggles the mind.

Rule still stands no animals shot without my assistance. Incredibly 2 months have gone by since this incident and there had not been a single animal shot whereas before it was a daily occurrence

BUFFALO KILLED BY PAC LOOK AT HOW GOOD HIS CONDITION WAS COMPARED TO FIRST DAY I TREATED HIM
 
IF YOU LOOK CAREFULLY YOU CAN SEE A SECOND SNARE OVER ORIGINAL HEALING WOUND