Monday, August 23, 2010

Trap set for leopard in my yard

Trap set for leopard in my yard

On 23/8 we set the bait in the trap and covered our scent tail.

Leopard was caught in trap that night.

On 24/8 Wardens came to my house. I darted leopard with 1.5 cc Zoletil and it was rapidly sedated. On examination it was a young leopard approximately 1 ½ years old male (in the event of a female in lactation we would have released it) the size of its mouth and bite radius was consistent with the wounds that had been inflicted on 2 dogs that I had examined.

Leopard was loaded into parks truck and we immediately relocated it about 10 kilometers west of Ihaha camp on the riverfront were it had plenty of food and water. It is your hope that it will be able to survive. It is a pity we did not have a radio collar to monitor its progress.

On returning to home that evening I was able to download pictures from the camera on to computer and much to my surprise there were 2 leopards that had hit the bait 3 nights before. I immediately informed Mr. Gadimang and we discussed the fact that we would see if any more incidents were reported before attempting to trap second cat. It appears that this is the relocated leopard’s mother as it is much larger. It is my guess she was teaching her son how to hunt.

On 8.27.2010 I heard gunshots near the house and on investigating found the warden that lives nearby has seen and shot into the air to scare a large leopard. The tracks were consistent with a large cat.

Hopefully it will not threaten other dogs and residents.






THIS IR CAMERA TOOK PICTURE. THERE ARE 2 LEOPARDS. WE DID NOT KNOW AS WE HAD NO SOFTWARE TO LOAD PICTURE ON TO COMPUTER UNTIL 4 DAYS LATER