Sunday, October 10, 2010

Playing with Lions at Kwando

Playing with Lions at Kwando

I had to Charter a plane to fly in to Kwando game reserve in Northern Botswana to assist some Dr Mike Briggs doing research on large predators. Basically they are collaring 15 predators with satellite tracking technology. Blood is taken for Complete Blood counts, chemistry, Genetic typing and detection of exposure to diseases like TB, Feline Leukemia and Feline Aids and Distemper. Meticulous measurements are taken including length of body, teeth breadth, width and length, gingivitis testing and weight among a few. Fecal samples for internal parasites are collected and also any external crawlies.

It was a completely dark moonless night as we sat under the magnificent stars of the African veldt. Shooting stars abound and the silence of the night is interrupted by the distress calls of a wounded buffalo played over loudspeakers. The echo in the distance gives an eerie feeling. Various calls are presented including Hyena, Jackals and lions roaring.

Suddenly out of the darkness like silent ghosts 2 mature lionesses appear to find the source of the commotion. Two darts are shot at close range and within 10 minutes both cats are asleep. We frantically begin doing procedures on recumbent cats. After an hour and 30 minutes we are finished. One last task to be done. Lions are set on a canvas cradle attached to a scale and are picked up manually. My back cracks with strain and the second lions decides it’s time to wake up amidst a cacophony of growls and grunts we quickly pick her up and weigh her. I almost wet my pants as I was by her head. One was 280 lbs and other one that woke up was 380 pounds. That’s a lot of cat. My hat off to these brave dedicated researchers.

First night I was walking to the camp from my tent deep in the bush and my flashlight (torch) batteries die. I’m stumbling along without a clue where I am can’t even see my feet it’s so dark. The next night I had 2 flashlights but I was s tired I took the wrong path and was hopelessly lost. Working my way back to the sound of frogs in the river I see 2 lightly illuminated spots 20 meters ahead of me followed by two more. What the hell is it? Look at the bigger picture and there stand 2 huge hippos I guess their eyes don't reflect so well. I feel hairs on the back of my head stand up as I look behind me and there is their Bro and I’m standing between them and the river. I walked out of that one very slowly. I almost pooped my pants.

My turn in Chobe to come next if I can raise funding to buy satellite transmitting collars and other equipment to find out what has happened to the depleted lion population in Chobe.
I have learned a lot on this short trip as to procedures and having a place to do genetic typing. Of course meeting new friends with the same passion as mine. It’s good to learn from the experts instead of having to make the mistakes yourself.
 
Off to USA to procure nonprofit status and hopefully find sponsors to support this crucial work. I don’t want to go now since so many things are coming to a head but have no choice. Please guys if you can help out donate on my website I am broke and don’t know how I am going to afford to travel around to speak at events and meet drug company presidents to beg for money.